Friday, November 21, 2014

Ibiza; Café Mar y Sol

Hi guys! During my stay in Ibiza I had to eat at the restaurant ... pretty much everyday. See, I have a feeling Ibiza is such a touristic place that it's nearly impossible to find a grocery store. And even if there is one, I have no clue how we would have been able to cook anything in our hotel room anyway.


So the first place we went to on the first day we got there was Café Mar y Sol, by the marina. We had spent the afternoon shopping and were trying to figure out where the heck the Pacha was (turns out it wasn't far from our hotel). In the evening we sat down at this cafe to grab a bite, because we walked by it many times and did not really feel like spending too much money on food on the first day.


They offer a selection of sandwiches, fish and seafood, and tapas. We decided to go for tapas. The girls also ordered a sangria de cava (made with the Spanish version of champagne) which I did not drink because I knew we were going to get drunk on gin before going out.

Now it's time for some pictures! Please excuse me for the crappy quality, it's only very recently (I feel like an idiot) that I have figured out how to take pictures of food under low lighting.

One of the orders was insalata russia, or Russian salad. Basically a potato and diced vegetables salad.


I felt a bit weird about this salad, because I thought it was good but could have been better, and also because I have mixed feelings about anything drenched in mayonnaise. Mayonnaise can be used to conceal anything bad and make it taste not so bad.

We also had, if I remember properly, mozzarella sticks.


Mozzarella sticks are, I guess, on every menu of every restaurant on earth. Why? Go figure. They were quite normal but at least they had that good crunch on the outside and were all melty inside.

Then grilled Padron peppers. Something I have to try making at home.


Those grilled peppers are delicious. They are not spicy at all and I remember tasting them for the first time in Berlin, while having a beer at a random bar, because I used the bathroom and on my way out our waiter made me try his lunch. Could things get more random than that?

We also had stuffed pepper (with cheese) in a tomato sauce.


That was quite good and hearty. I drenched my bread in that tomato sauce (and stuffed myself on bread like an idiot).

There were sliders. Four different types : American classic, chicken curry, avocado, and the fourth one I can't quite remember.


They were okay. I am not exactly a fan of sliders anyway, but I find they did well for a place that's not specialized in burgers.

The sangria de cava. The original order had strawberry in it, which was a surprise because we didn't know. We had to return it though and ask for another batch because one of us is allergic to strawberry. We sort of felt bad because we didn't tell the waitress when we ordered.


Our dishes also comprised tortilla chips with salsa, cheese and guacamole, and some meatballs.


The meatballs were actually quite good, but the tortilla chips were disappointing. I didn't mind the texture of the sauces, but it was missing something. Also, the fact that all the sauces were dumped over didn't make it quite enjoyable.


The bread though was beautiful and delicious. Crispy outside, soft and airy inside. And we had the same bread at the hotel! Damn you, bread. Why are you so bad for me yet so delicious?

So overall how was my experience? It was okay. The service was okay though the people were actually really friendly. The place sort of sucks (it's not pretty but it's cozy). The prices were affordable. And the quality of the food is okay. Honestly it could be worse for what you pay for.

So do I recommend el Café Mar y Sol? Given the fact that food is expensive in Ibiza and that I don't know where the cheap good hidden places are, I guess yes. It's actually fine for a snack or to chill out between friends comfortably.

So that's it for today. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...