Sunday, October 5, 2014

Dirty Dogs

Hi guys! I haven't blogged in a while (I should stop saying that) due to my crazy schedule of the past few weeks. Luckily enough this is going to be over soon. I am going to take a few minutes to review a hot dog joint I tried when I came back from France that was recommended by my friend Daniel.

Rio, Sophie, and I decided to go on a food date to catch up a bit. I suggested we go to Dirty Dogs, located on Mont-Royal avenue, not far from the St-Laurent boulevard corner. You get in and smell and feel the grease in the air. The place is very small though it has a few benches (but you don't feel like staying indoor because you'd be eating next to people waiting in line).

The guys there are very friendly, the menu is very clear and easy to understand and there is a daily (or weekly) special on the blackboard behind the grill. For 3$ you can get fries and a drink with that.

So we ordered, waited a bit while everything was getting grilled up, and walked towards the Parc Jeanne-Mance with our greasy orders.

I had the Maurice Richard (the most famous hockey player) : Dirty Dogs sausage, foie gras, bacon, 3 year aged cheddar, caramelized onions and maple syrup.


Sophie had the Bernie Mac : bacon and cheese sausage with homemade mac and cheese, shallots and crispy bacon.


Rio had the James Gandolfini : mild Italian sausage with homemade bruschetta, pancetta, fresh mozzarella and pesto. He also asked for a side of sweet potato fries.


As you can see none of this is healthy. Even the side of sweet potato fries was so big we helped Rio eat it. I think the dog itself is a nice meal : it's not too much and you have some room for a Kem Coba ice cream cone (yes, we went to Kem Coba afterwards).

I really liked my dog despite the fat dripping all over the place. I love foie gras, and I think it was perfect with the maple syrup and caramelized onions. It's one of those recipes I would try to recreate at home. I kinda wish the buns were less doughy and had more of a brioche or baguette texture but they were okay. At least they held well, were soft, and didn't break down while we ate.

Rio and Sophie also really liked their dogs. For my part I think it's one of those places I would go back to just for the heck of trying everything on the menu.

I have to admit my dog was sort of pricey (around 15$) but worth it considering the fact that it had foie gras (it was grilled by the way, not just pâté). So do I recommend Dirty Dogs? Of course I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...