Thursday, August 7, 2014

Zürich; Im Viadukt

I had already told my host I was a student in urban planning and that I wanted to discover as many cities as possible not only for the heck of traveling but also to get inspired and try to bring back some innovative ideas in Quebec. So he brought me to this project, Im Viadukt, which is basically a railway viaduct turned into stores and restaurants with pleasurable public and leisure places around.


Here are just a few pictures I have snapped on my visit over there. I totally fell in love with the concept and think this is something we can totally recreate over here. Just to let you know, the railway is still in use, thus proving that we can deal with the vibrations from the trains and adapt lost spaces into usable and profitable spaces.








I was amazed by this graffiti artwork showing a beautiful example of turning something old into something new instead of simply destroying it.



In the same neighborhood as Im Viadukt there are other rehabilitation projects like this warehouse or factory that has been turned into a bar and venue spot.


Now I know turning industrial buildings or infrastructures into something else is not new and is a trend that has been going on for quite a while now. I believe there is a lot and much more we can do to reuse them and, even better, give them more value. All it takes is a bit of imagination and a few changes and you're good to go! And no, don't you tell me those are ugly. They're not.

And so that's it for today! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...