Monday, August 18, 2014

Berlin; Alexanderplatz and Rosenthaler Straße

Hi guys! Back in March I had the chance to go to Berlin, Germany, with all my classmates. Yes, we were about forty kids roaming the streets of Berlin but whatever, since that trip didn't cost me much. I was so excited to go because I have been hearing wonderful things about this city since high school. And let me tell you I was far from disappointed!

Our group stayed at the Circus Hostel for this trip, which, by the way, I totally recommend. First time I went to a hostel and I was afraid it was going to be ugly or dirty, but it was absolutely not! It seriously had hotel standards and everything.

On the first day we got there (because we left the day before and slept on the bus) we left our stuffs at the hostel and I went for a walk with three other girls. We decided to visit a bit around Alexanderplatz, which is both a S-Bahn (Stadtschnellbahn, or express railway) and U-Bahn (Underground, or subway) station. It's also an important shopping spot with many retailers, without being a traditional shopping center.


This is a huge department store, kind of similar to The Bay in Canada.


Berlin features a lot of artwork wherever you go. This one is in the middle of Alexanderplatz, most stores are facing this public place.




We decided to get out of Alexanderplatz but didn't go far. Right where Rosenthaler Straße becomes Oranienburger Straße there is a little surprise that awaits people. Behind those buildings are other hidden buildings and small gardens. There you can find a bookstore, a movie theater, a souvenir shop, clothing stores, a makeup store, and much more.


If you go on Google Maps and look for it, all you'll see is like a bunch of buildings with no relationship with the street that look like nonsense. In fact they just make a lot of sense.



I am totally jealous of the people who live in those apartments right there!




Candy pink! This specific part was very female gender oriented, with the sweets shop & cafe, the yoga club, the makeup store, the clothing stores, etc.



And so that's it for today! Berlin is a city full of lovely surprises that just contrast so much with its monumental aspects. Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...