Sunday, June 8, 2014

Lyon; HD Diner

Hi guys! Today's post will be quite short, since I have gotten back from Dublin only two days ago and am already leaving for Bruxelles.

In March my friend Marie-Eve turned 28. To celebrate her birthday we went to HD Diner, a restaurant located in the shopping center La Part-Dieu and which design and concept is inspired from American Diners.

Her boyfriend made a reservation for 10 people and though some of us were late (especially the birthday couple) our table was still waiting for us. When we got in the restaurant was full, so I was actually grateful they didn't cancel our reservation (some restaurants do if you're more than 15 minutes late).

The whole thing was pink and baby blue, with chairs and tables designed exactly like in the diners you find in the USA. We were all quite hungry, so the waiter took our orders.

I ordered a Route 66 : Double patty, 3 cheeses (comté, reblochon, and I don't remember the third one), confit tomatoes, pepper sauce.

Pictures were taken with my cellphone.



All burgers are served with a side of thyme French fries.

My boyfriend had the Avocado burger, but I didn't snap a picture because I was too busy with my own food. It's basically a burger with fresh avocado, guacamole and cheese.

Your patty is cooked to your liking (most of us asked for rare, only the non-French ones asked for well cooked). Everything was good enough, even the buns were slightly toasted. You have a slice of pickle, tomato and Roman lettuce on your plate so you can put them in your burger if you feel like it but honestly I found these were poor toppings (they looked pitiful on the plate).

Overall the burgers were good and the fries also (though maybe a little dry) but I found the service quite bad. First, it took our waiter about 10 minutes after we sat down to come and take our drink orders (my boyfriend and I only wanted to drink water, so it sort of sucked for us to wait 10 minutes just to get a glass of water which, by the way, the waiter didn't fill during our meal until one of our friends asked him to refill my glass). Then it took him another 10 to 15 minutes to get our food orders. At least the food didn't take too long to arrive (maybe another 10 to 15 minutes), but that means we started eating 30-45 minutes after we sat down. This is a freaking burger place. Not an Italian restaurant.

Then at the end he came and took the desserts orders. My boyfriend and I didn't order any because we weren't hungry enough for that. I think everyone ordered milkshakes.

Do I recommend HD Diner? Yes and no. The concept is cool, the names of the meals are funny, the selection is pretty wide, but the quality of the food is normal (thus this place is overpriced for what it's worth) and the service is bad. Well it was bad that night, I don't think it's always like that, but if it is then it sucks. Still you could give it a try, I found it was worth the experience but I don't think I would want to come back unless it's to take out.

That's it for today! Until next time!

For more information on HD Diner : http://www.happydaysdiner.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...