Thursday, May 1, 2014

Lyon; L'escarcelle

It has been a while since I have made a post about food. I thought to myself it was time I blogged a bit and I have been collecting pictures of culinary adventures for a while. Might as well get rid of some of them!


I was chilling at a friend's place with her boyfriend. One of their friends came over and suggested we go have lunch together at a restaurant where one of his friends (still following?) is the chef. We decided to give it a try because we like trying out new places.

The place is small and cozy. Open only on lunch hours from Monday to Friday (and some Friday evenings) they suggest you make a reservation because it gets full fast. Also it's best you don't come too late because the best things on the menu go away fast.

The waiter comes and shows you a black board with the menu and prices written on it. While he's constantly cutting fresh baguette, you can see another black board behind him with a wide selection of wine by the glass or by the bottle. They also have some beer, whisky, natural juice, etc. The restaurant is overall well lit with natural lighting.

Here are some pictures of our orders. The pictures were taken with my cellphone.

As an entrée, I had the salmon cake, Julien had the rillettes de boeuf, and Marie-Eve had the leek cake.




All the entrées were served on black slate. My salmon cake was light and airy, and the green emulsion on it was, I believe, a parsley emulsion. The rillettes de boeuf were complemented with some confit (I don't remember which kind, it was quite a while ago). The textures were all right, even the cold leek cake with its flaky crust. The tastes were fresh and natural.

As a main course, Julien, Gabriel and I all had the magret de canard, and Marie-Eve had the grilled cod risotto.



I didn't try the cod, but the magret and its vegetables were sweet. The vegetables would melt into your mouth and the few grains of salt were just enough to balance out the sweetness. The skin was just crispy enough and the meat was tender and juicy. The portions may look small but trust me they are filling enough.

As for the dessert, Julien and I had the speculos cake, and Gabriel had the white and dark chocolate cake.



I'm not exactly a fan of speculos but when I saw the table on the other side I thought I would give it a try. Served with caramel sheets and poached apple, I thought the flavors and textures complemented each other perfectly. Gabriel really liked his chocolate cake even though he usually doesn't like dark chocolate. He gave it a try because he thought about eating the white part and leaving the dark part to the others. He ended up eating pretty much all of it.

We stayed a while to chat while Julien and Marie-Eve were having a coffee. Depending on the menu, you can have the entrée, main course and dessert for 19€. I think it's really worth it and I would come back, but the fact that my boyfriend works during opening hours kinda sucks. Still I highly recommend this place. Some Friday evenings the chef organizes a special event. For 30€ you have appetizers, an entrée, a main course and a dessert. During those events he makes a very special menu with one principal ingredient. This Friday the theme is strawberry.

Also, why should you go? Because ingredients are bought the same day, hand picked by the chef. Now do me a favor and go have lunch there.

For more information about L'escarcelle :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...