Sunday, March 9, 2014

Paris; Louvre and Jardin des Tuileries

While I was in Paris I tried to visit as many attractions as I could. Unfortunately I'm going to have to come back (especially for the Louvre, that's going to take at least a whole day). There are many that I have also looked at from far but didn't have the time to get closer. There is well too much to see in Paris but here's a quick overview of the outside of the Musée du Louvre and the Jardin des Tuileries.

First I got off at subway station Louvre-Rivoli (the station Palais Royal-Musée du Louvre is closed at the moment because they're working on an exhibition in the station).


Montrealers, do you recognize this? One of the entrances of the subway station Square-Victoria (in front of the Centre de commerce mondial de Montréal) has the same metal structures because it's actually a gift from the city of Paris. By the way if you haven't seen them yet there are mini Eiffel towers on the Jacques-Cartier bridge, also gifts from the city of Paris.

Now this is the east entrance of the Château du Louvre.


When you get in there is a nice inner public place with a fountain on the west side.



Can you see what I see? Yes, one of the glass pyramids of the museum!



I kept walking west, towards the Jardin des Tuileries. Here you see the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel.


I was taking pictures when a mini-Eiffel-towers seller comes to me. I tell him I'm not interested in his stuffs. He then starts telling me how beautiful I am, asks me where I'm from (Canada) then asks me if I have a boyfriend or am married. His french and english were terrible so I started thinking maybe he had just arrived in France. Still it was awkward.


And so I started walking into the Jardin des Tuileries. It used to be a neighborhood but today it's a public garden, the most important and oldest à la française of Paris. Many statues, artworks, two fountains and a lot of chilling spots make this garden a nice place to relax.



As you keep walking towards the west you can see the Bassin Octogonal and a ferris wheel on Place de la Concorde. I'm starting to think every big city has its ferris wheel (Marseille, Lyon, and Lille have one).


I have to admit I wasn't exactly a fan of the Jardin des Tuileries. From what I've seen on pictures it seems like an amazing place to see during the summer when the trees are full of leaves.

When I got out of the garden I started to feel hungry so I bought a crepe. It wasn't made on the spot but it was good.


I nearly got killed crossing the Place de la Concorde. Parisian roundabouts are officially the worst ones. Anyways I was attracted by the fountains and the obelisk and it was worth it.




If there's something I love about France so far it's (besides the food) the fountains. There are so many of them that are just epic, old, very elaborated ... it's simply insanely breath taking. I wish we had fountains like this in Montreal. Wait, I keep forgetting how freaking young Montreal is compared to french cities.





I didn't walk all the way to the Arc de Triomphe because I was hungry. The crepe wasn't very filling. I turned right on the avenue de Marigny then right again on rue du Faubourg St-Honoré. I didn't really know where I was going but I stumbled upon the Palais de l'Élysée, basically where the french president officially lives (currently François Hollande).


I knew it was an important place because of the guards at the gates. Lucky me I didn't look menacing so they didn't look at me weird.

So that's it for today! I hope you enjoyed this quick tour of some of the biggest attractions of Paris. My next post will be another quick tour of some more Parisian attractions and monuments ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...