Thursday, November 14, 2013

Kashmir Restaurant + Getting used to my new camera

It's been a while now that my friend Phil and I were supposed to have Indian food. I bought a Groupon a while ago : 19$ for 40$ worth of food at Restaurant Kashmir, in the Old Port. We've been both busy or sick but finally we were able to go. We went on a cold and rainy Sunday evening.


The restaurant is located right above a souvenir shop and according to the sign outside it's also a lounge. When you get in you can see the kitchen (I have a feeling this is typical of ethnic restaurants) and there doesn't seem to be many tables. Lucky us there weren't many customers at the moment.


So we sat down. It wasn't exactly what I had expected, most probably because the photos on the website don't show much of the restaurant itself. It was a lot smaller than I expected (thus the reason why it's recommanded to make a reservation). The brick walls, paintings and small statues were lovely tho. Small tables so don't go eat there as a big group. Maybe the restaurant would have seemed bigger if the other "larger" part was open.


Phil was on meds so he didn't order any drinks but I asked for a beer. I wanted to try a Taj Mahal (blond) but they didn't have any left so I ordered a Cobra (red). We obviously ordered food too : butter chicken and lamb kashmiri with basmati rice and garlic naan bread.

Beer Cobra

I try not to drink beer often for not only I have trouble digesting it but it's also much better for my wallet. This one was quite good, with a creamy texture and a slightly bitter aftertaste.

The rice, bread and main dishes came all at once.



The food came in two different metal serving dishes for us to spoon it over our plates.


Basmati rice and garlic naan bread

The basmati rice was very fragrant and the bread was simply delicious. I like garlic. I would put garlic in everything. They used fresh sliced garlic but the way they toasted it removed the stinging raw taste and left only a delicious garlic flavored bread. Hmm. Garlic. Did I mention garlic? Garlic!

Butter chicken

I think butter chicken is a classic. It's delicious, a safe value, and who the hell doesn't like butter chicken? When Phil spooned some over his plate and tried it he just went mad. It was written all over his face "I'm in heaven".

Kashmiri lamb

I asked for Kashmiri lamb because, well, I freaking love lamb. Also, I found the mix of ingredients very appealing : curry prepared with litchis, almonds, coconut and sultana raisins. The lamb was tender and delicious and the sweetness was perfect, not overpowering at all. There were actual pieces of litchi, which I happily nibbled on.

Overall I liked it. The service would have been much better if the waiter came back more often to fill our water glasses. It was quite filling for two persons and the ambiance was quite lovely and relaxing (especially with the music playing in the background).

We didn't want to go home right away so we went to Starbucks to get some tea and talk a bit. I'm a huge fan of London fog and so far the one they make at Starbucks is my favorite.

London fog

Now I'm not going to rate Starbucks' London fog, but it's just a way for me to show that I'm still trying to get used to my camera. I have acquired two lenses for now : 18-55 and 55-250. I know I should be reading the manual. I should go back to the notes I took 6 years ago in my photography class but I'm way too lazy for that. Instead I'll just keep on trying both automatic and manual features and compare the resulting shots.

So that's it for today! For more information on Restaurant Kashmir and to make a reservation :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...