Friday, April 27, 2012

Restaurant Cielo Tapas

A while back I bought a voucher entitling me to 65$ worth of food for the price of 30$ at Restaurant Cielo Tapas, in Montreal. My mother having had a promotion a month ago, I decided to take her out for lunch.

First thing that caught our eyes was the decoration. The walls, the lights, every little object was chosen on purpose. What I really liked about it is how they managed to match different styles together and ended up with something that looks like a lounge but has a classy touch to it. I only took one picture of the restaurant because I felt kinda weird taking my camera out on a date with my mother.





They have better pictures on their website.



They have lunch specials, which is nice if you don't feel like spending too much money or gubbling on something too heavy. Unfortunately the voucher didn't work on lunch specials, but I honestly didn't care much.

The waiter asked us if we wanted anything to drink. My mother had a glass of red wine (8$) while I asked for a Rickard's Red (5$). Unfortunately their choice of beer was quite limited : Corona, Heineken, Coors Light.

We started with a fish and seafood soup (8$).





The broth was clear yet full of flavor. It really tasted and smelled like fresh fish. The seafood were not big but it was varied : clams, scallops, squid and shrimp. The bowl was quite big and with the bread it could have made a nice lunch. I wished their bread was warm though. There's nothing more frustrating for me than trying to smear butter on cold bread.

Then we got some tapas : coconut shrimps (9$).





They came with some kind of salsa we couldn't figure out what it was made of. The shrimps were huge (I would have been disappointed otherwise). The fact that it was covered in coconut shavings then fried made them very fatty, but they were really good (especially with the salsa).

Then came the main dishes.

My mother had the Angus filet mignon (27$) while I had the Marsala veal scaloppini (22$).





My mother said her dish was really good. She asked for her steak to be medium and that's what she got. Though the piece of meat may look small (that's the camera's fault) it was satisfying. The vegetables were either steamed or roasted, but in both cases they used butter. Butter is the best thing when it comes to vegetables. Of course it's not a balanced meal, as you can see, there is as much meat as there is green.





My scaloppini were delicious. Fork tender (I didn't need a knife) and flavorful. You can tell from the look of the sauce that it was full fat (the reason why it was so good). I had exactly the same vegetables as my mother.

The one thing we have to say about our dishes is we think the cook may have had a slightly heavy hand on the salt. We barely use salt at home, but because we thought it was salty doesn't mean it wasn't right. Most probably that's the way it's supposed to be and we're just not used to it.

We didn't have anything else, because honestly, it was a lot already.

The service was perfect. Well I don't know if they're always like that or if it was because I had a notebook and a camera, but we truly appreciated the attention. For every dish that was brought, the waiter would come back a few minutes later to ask us if things were to our taste. Also asked each time if we wanted pepper. When we left, he thanked us even though he was busy at the counter, far from us. My mother left with a smile, which doesn't happen often!

This is the kind of place I would totally recommend for a date. Unfortunately, it's also the kind of place that digs a hole in your wallet. But was it worth it? Yes, totally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...